Saturday, November 7, 2009

Homemade Refried Beans

This make the yummiest beans ever! And it's sooooo easy!

I cook for 7 people, so you may want to half this recipe if you have only 2-3 kids.

I pour 4 cups (2 pounds) of dried pinto beans (I buy the big bulk bag at Sam's Club) into my crockpot, and rinse out all the dirt. Then I add water, enough to be about two inches above my beans. I then add a ham hock....you can buy this in most grocery stores and they are pretty cheap...well worth it for the taste. My grandma used to add bacon when we didn't have ham hocks, but I don't care for the greasiness of it. Do not add salt at this point because it will make the beans tough. Oh and I should mention that you don't have to soak the beans overnight when you cook using the crockpot method. Trust me on this.

Ok, so set the crockpot on medium or high...depending on how much time you have, and just let them cook all day. Check the water regularly if you can to make sure you don't need to add more water. When they are cooked (doubled in size) you want the water level to be about an inch above the beans. When you are getting closer to dinner time (about an hour before) add about 2 teaspoons of salt or 1 teaspoon if you are only using 1 pound of beans. Then add maybe a 1/2 or 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder. You don't want a strong chili taste....we're not making chili, but it should give it just a hint of flavor but not enough to burn little ones mouths. Let the flavors mingle for about an hour.

Next you want to separate the beans from the water. Take the hamhock out and if there is any meat on the ham hock you can scrap it off and keep it with the beans. So then, strain the beans from the water, but keep the water set aside in another bowl.

Mash the beans with a potato masher and add the water from the beans a bit a time until you reach your desired consistency.

You can also just leave the beans whole in the water for some yummy pinto beans if you don't want to mash them.

That's it. You just made a much healthier and yummier version of refried beans! Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment